Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Week 5 Storytelling: Bharata Goes to Rama in the Forest

Bharata had just returned from his grandmother's. His mother, Kaikeyi, had just told him about the death of his father and Rama's exile. He was now the king. He was so frustrated with his mother. How could she do this to him? How could she do that to his father? This was not the life that he wanted. Kaikeyi tried to comfort her son. She knew that he was hurting and that is was partially her fault.

"Stay away from me! I can not stand to look at you, horrible woman!" Bharata yelled at his mother. He knew that he was being disrespectful, but he couldn't stand to look at her. It was her fault that his father was dead.

Bharata wanted to make this right. His father wanted Rama to be king, not him. He decided that he must go find Rama in the forest. He hoped that he would be able to convince his brother to return to their kingdom and be their king. As soon as he thought of this plan, he ran outside to leave.
Rama had been exiled for a little while, so Bharata had no clue how far he and the others had gone. He was determined to find them. He walked many miles in search of his brother, the rightful king. Bharata was deep in the forest and finally saw Rama! Rama was sitting with Sita and Lakshmana. Bharata ran to them and hugged his brother.

"Rama, I must speak to you!" Bharata said.
"Okay, brother, let us go somewhere to talk." said Rama.

They walked away from Sita and Lakshmana so they could talk privately.

"Father is dead. He died of grief from my mother causing your exile." said Bharata.
"Oh, no. My heart is broken for the death of our father. Now you are king!" Rama said.
"No! You are our rightful king. You must return to the kingdom!" said Bharata.
"No! Father told me that I must be in exile for fourteen years and I will not break my word to him." Rama said.
"My mother is the cause of this and she will pay. You no longer have to do this, Rama!" Bharata pleaded.
"No, you will be king!" Rama yelled.
"Fine, I will be king for now. After your fourteen years of exile, you will return and be our king. You are our true king." Bharata said to his brother.
Rama agreed with Bharata and decided that was best. He did not want to cause his brother any more grief.
Bharata took Rama's sandals to put on the throne until he returned to rule their kingdom. He said goodbye to his brothers and Sita and then returned to rule the kingdom.



Author's Note: I chose to tell the story of Bharata finding out about the death of his father and going to Rama because I feel like we don't hear as much about Bharata. The story's main focus is on Rama, so I wanted to focus on another character. I wanted to use my imagination to see how Bharata was feeling in this time and what his and Rama's conversation could have been.

Bibliography: 
Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.

5 comments:

  1. Hilary, I like that you decided to focus on Bharata’s feelings over the entire situation. Most people would be overjoyed to become king. However, Bharata is deeply disgusted by these turn of events. He is so disgusted that he turns on his own mother. I felt that you really captured his feelings towards his mother and his feelings of becoming king wrongly towards Rama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you picked this topic to write your story about! Bharata is one of my favorite characters in the story because of his dedication to his brother Rama. I think it is awesome how all of the brothers and people really like Rama so much, and want what is best for him! I think you did a great job of showing this connection between Bharata and Rama. You also showed how Bharata was truly mad at his mother calling her a, “horrible woman.” I think that shows how truly hurt he was by her.

    When Bharata finally sees Rama, I think you did a good job of showing how Rama just wants to do what his father wished. I have always thought of Rama as a very quite but strong person, never really yelling, but you showed me a new side of him. I actually though it was interesting to see Rama yell, because it was like seeing a new side of him! One suggestion I would make would be to give your story a little more detail, and stray from the original story a little bit more. I also have to work on this, so we can do it together! Great job with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary! Great story you have here. I actually wrote the similar story, but in Kaikeyi's point of view. I think you did an amazing job revealing Bharata's character and how kind hearted he is. Great job on using quotations to make the characters look more alive. I love how your presented Bharata as a righteous person.

    You did a good job of explaining the emotions of each character. I also like the fact that you kept the original story and just changed up little things. Because the actual story focuses on Rama, I liked how you wrote in Bharata's point of view. When ever Bharata was showing his emotions toward Kaikeyi, it showed how much he despised her as a human being. I love the picture you added to the story because it helps the readers imagine how it went when they met in the forest. Great story! One thing I want to mention is that the Author's note has to be a little longer with more description of the changes you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was a great look into Bharata's emotions over the crazy events that took place due to Kaikeyi. I think you did a great job showing his feelings towards Kaikeyi with his angry outburst and internal thoughts towards her. Bharata's love for Rama was also shown by his frustration with becoming king, and his desire to seek Rama out and make him the rightful king. What a great brother, that he would give up an entire kingdom because he felt Rama deserved it. I think you did a great job giving some insight to Bharata's side of the original story. I agree that more of the "side characters" such as Bharata need some more stories. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that you chose to write about this story. Bharata was thrown into this crazy situation and everyone was more or less telling him to get over it and be King. Your story showed more of his side, and his emotions as to how he felt upon coming home from what should have been a refreshing trip to his grandfathers. Good job!

    ReplyDelete