Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling: Never Trust a Lion

This story takes place in Benares, where the lion, Brahmadatta, is the king of the land. The lion was eating his meal for the day and he was in a rush. He was eating his food extremely fast. This caused him to accidentally get a bone lodged in his throat. Brahmadatta panicked. He had to find a way to get the bone out or else he was going to die. It was also hurting his throat really badly. He saw a crane named Bodhisatta passing by and decided to ask him for assistance.

"Hey, Bodhisatta," the lion croaked, "I am in need of your assistance."
"Yes, my dear friend. How may I help you?" replied Bodhisatta.
"I was eating too quickly and got a bone stuck in my throat. Can you get it out?" the lion asked.
"Well, friend, the only way I can think of to get the bone out is to climb in your throat. I am scared that you would eat me!" the crane exclaimed.
"Of course I would not eat you! You would be saving my life! Please help me. My throat is hurting very badly." replied the lion.
"I am still unsure.." the timid crane said nervously.
"I will make you a deal. If you get this bone out, I will owe you a favor!" the lion said surely.
"Okay, I will help you, my friend." the crane replied.
"Thank you!" the lion exclaimed. 

As Bodhisatta climbed into the lions throat, the lion was thinking. He was still very hungry and was out of food. He would have to hunt when Bodhisatta got the bone out of his throat...

Bodhisatta climbed into Brahmadatta's throat, and wiggled the bone free. As soon as Brahmadatta felt the bone being freed, he clamped down his mouth.

"You tricked me!" Bodhisatta yelled. "How could you do this to me?"

Brahmadatta ate Bodhisatta and made sure to eat slowly and carefully. He was finally full and glad that he did not have to hunt more for the day. It didn't bother him that he tricked the crane. He killed for his food. He could not have remorse.

The moral of the story is to be careful who you trust. Some people can not be trusted.



Author's Note: I decided to retell the story of The Lion and the Crane from my reading this week. I chose this story because it did not end the way that I expected it to. In the original, the lion did not kill the crane, but when the crane asked the lion for his favor, the lion wouldn't do it. The lion said the crane was lucky to be alive. I decided to change the end to the lion actually eating the crane. I also wanted to add a moral to the story. I always like to add those, because I feel they are a good thing to have in these stories.

Bibliography: "The Lion and the Crane" by Joseph Jacobs, from Indian Fairy Tales (1890). Web Source: Sacred Texts Archive.

3 comments:

  1. Hilary, I actually read this unit of the Untextbook as well! I like the way that you changed the story, although it does make me a little sad that the crane died in the end! haha. I think your story was good as a whole, but I don't know that it was really distinguishable from the original other than the ending. I would really encourage you to make your stories your own, and change them up a little more! Overall though, good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary, I really enjoyed reading your story! I didn't read anything from the Untextbook this week, so it was fun to hear something from it from you. I was really surprised by the ending! I like that you added a moral to it. Your dialogue added a lot to the flow of the story, and it helped portray a lot without many words. Also, the picture you used is perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hilary!

    I liked the way you changed the story from the original one. I hate to see that the crane died though, especially after helping the lion out. That is the perfect moral to this story. If only the crane had been wiser. You did a great job with the flow of the story. It was perfect. The dialogue was spot on also.

    ReplyDelete