Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Week 10 Storytelling: A Family Reunited

Bhishma and his mother, Ganga, were together at the beginning of his life. They had to be separated, because he was cursed to live his existence on earth. He lived a long life of celibacy, and died in battle. Arjuna shot him from behind, which was fatal to Bhishma. Before his death, Bhishma talked to Yudhishthira about becoming king, and then asked him to return him to his mother.He needed to return to his family. Yudhishthira had Bhishma cremated on the shores of the Ganges. Ganga watched this event as it occurred, and she could not wait for her son to return to his true home.

Ganga was so pleased that her son could finally return to her. They had to spend their lives apart, because he was forced to live on earth. She hated that he had to die to be able to return to her, but it was the only way. She washed up onto the shore to take her son's ashes away from the wretched earth. They could return to heaven now.

Ganga took her son up to heaven. They finally got to speak to each other again.

"Oh my son, how I have missed you dearly," Ganga said.
"I have missed you too, mother," Bhishma said happily. "It was horrible to have to spend my life on earth without you."
"It was horrible for me, as well, Bhishma. Your brothers and I missed you so much," Ganga replied.
"Now we can all be together again. This time forever!" Bhishma said excitedly.

Ganga took Bhishma to his brothers. All seven of the brothers were so happy to see their brother. Bhishma was also pleased to see them. It had been so long. They talked for hours and hours filling each other in on what they had missed throughout the years. Now the whole family was reunited and they lived together happily in heaven forever.




Author's Note:

I chose to tell the story of Ganga reuniting with her son because I was intrigued by their story in the beginning of The Ramayana. I thought that it would be interesting to explore Ganga's feelings about her son's death and his return to her. I retold the story of Bhishma's death from the book, and then added my own details about him reuniting with his mother and brothers. This part was not told in the book.

Bibliography:

Narayan, R.K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary! I really liked this story in the Mahabharata as well. In the author's note I saw that you said you liked this story from earlier in the Ramayana, I think you just got the title mixed up since we have focused so much on the Ramayana so much this semester. I enjoyed hearing what Bhishma's mom and his brothers might say to him when he returned home finally! The story flowed well, and I enjoy dialogue the best. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary, I really enjoyed your story and how you chose you tell it with a good dialogue. I liked that you used Ganga as a way to give a different perspective. Your details really tied well into the reading as well. It is always nice to read someone's own point of view that are separate from the actual book. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hilary! I really liked your story. I like how you used a different perspective to tell the story. It really opens the spectrum of the story. It was a good idea to use a dialogue because it makes the story more alive. I like how you added a little detail about reuniting the family. It was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hilary! Wow, this was really cool! I never even thought of writing this moment so its cool to see how it could have been. I love the dialogue in too though it would have been fun to see some dialogue with the brothers. Especially because we don't ever get to hear them talk or know about them, you could play around with it a whole lot and write whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete