Friday, January 9, 2015

Indian Epics Course Overview

One thing that really interests me about this class is the idea of telling stories from stories. This also makes me nervous though because I am not very creative, so I don't know how well I will do at retelling stories in my own way. I am very thankful for the reading guides provided for the epics. I have definitely never read these before and I was nervous about it. I feel like the reading guides will definitely help! I find it very intriguing that we are reading versions of the same epic by different authors. Seeing the different ways the authors write the stories will be interesting. The UnTextbook idea sounds fun! I like the idea of getting to choose what I wanted to read each week. 

I have never studied Indian history or culture before, so this class is all new to me! I have never listened to Indian music or watched any Indian films. I am excited to learn more about the Indian culture through this class. I love to learn more about different cultures!


Image Source: Sculpture of Lord Ganesha on the Lakshaman Temple

I chose this image because I remembered seeing it on Pinterest when I made my board for this class. It got my attention on Pinterest because one of my roommates loves elephants!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, Hilary: for most of the people in this class, the epics are new... but telling your own stories about these plots, these characters, etc., is a way to bridge that gap and make the epics suddenly become very close to us! And that is so cool that you picked Ganesha because of the elephants. There are LOTS of elephants in the Indian storytelling tradition... including the mythological Airavata, who is the celestial white elephant that the god Indra rides! :-)

    ReplyDelete