Saturday, January 31, 2015

Week 3 Famous Last Words

This week has been a difficult one filled with many emotions, so I wanted to write a blog post to reflect back on the week. 
I had an interview at The University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy this past Saturday for admission into their Fall 2015 program. This has been my dream for as long as I can remember. Pharmacy school is everything I have thought about for my whole college career. This interview was everything.
I was full of nerves as I went into this interview, but my sister helped me to relax beforehand. This interview was a difficult one to prepare for because it is not like typical interviews. It is a multiple mini interview. It included eight mini interviews in different rooms. You are given a situation or a question and have to discuss it with an interviewer for eight minutes. I thought that I did well. I knew that I had some shaky parts, but thought that overall it had gone good. I thought I would be okay.
I received an email a few days ago that said I was not chosen for OU's pharmacy program for this fall. It made me so sad and has messed up my plans. My backup plan is to work for a year. (I am a pharmacy technician at Walmart.) This will give me lots of experience and will also help me to get in state tuition. I am from Texas, so saving money by becoming in state sounds like a great idea! I was not very smart when applying to schools and only applied to OU. I am going to take two courses that I need to be able to apply to another program. I am hoping that working on things to improve my application and preparing better for the interview process will help me to achieve my goal of going to the College of Pharmacy at OU for Fall 2016.
I am struggling with doubts of my abilities and myself. This and other things in my life are looking way different than I thought they would this time last year. It really hurts that all of my plans are on hold for a year. I hope to make the best of this situation! I know that God has a plan for my life and this is all part of His plan! I am deciding to enjoy this year that I now have to work and save money for school. I am not going to give up on my dream!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Hilary, I just read your post: that must be so frustrating! I can really relate. Years ago, I was on my way to becoming a high school teacher: I had my bachelor's degree, plus I had taken lots of special classes for the teacher's certification, I had been a student teacher and volunteered in the schools too... but my application for a teaching certificate was denied because of a red-tape disaster having to do with my bachelor's degree being from out of state. All my plans were wrecked, and I felt terrible: I wanted to be a teacher more than anything. So, I decided to go to grad school and teach college instead, and here I am, teaching college since 1999... and I absolutely love my job. But I cried for a whole week before deciding that there HAD to be a reason for what had happened, and it was up to me to figure it out! Don't give up on your dream... and just keep on GOING. You will get there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary. I am SO sorry. I almost feel like I am adding salt to the wound commenting on this post from a couple weeks ago, but it really hit me and I felt that I needed to say something. "What is meant to be will be". I know that is probably the last thing you want to hear, but everything does fall into place for a reason. This year off may give you the edge you need to go in and dominate next year. We never know why things happen to work out the way they do, but just know that it will be okay. You're in my thoughts through this difficult time. Cry. Eat too much. Be spontaneous. Do what you need to do, but remember that it will be okay. It all works out for the greater plan.

    ReplyDelete