Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mothers in the Epics: Styles Brainstorm

Topic: 
My storybook is going to be about mothers in the epic stories. I got this idea when reading about Rama and Bharata's mothers. I want to include the story about Bharata's mother forcing the king into exiling Rama and making Bharata king. This story was in The Ramayana. Another story that sounds interesting is the story of Kunti abandoning her child, Karna. I'm also going to look into the goddess associated with mothers.

Bibliography:
Narayan, R.K. (1972) The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.
Kunti. Website: Wikipedia.


Styles:
1. Deathbed Story: I saw this on the 50+ Storytelling Ideas page. I think this would be interesting for the story of Bharata's mother, Kaikeyi. Did she regret forcing the king to exile his son, Rama? Did she ever think that she made the wrong decision in forcing the king? This could be an interesting story! I feel like on your deathbed you look back on your life and want to give the people you love wisdom. Kaikeyi could be doing this and talking about her previous life choices and mistakes. I feel like a big one would be forcing the king to make Bharata king and exiling Rama. Another story that could possibly be told is Rama's mother. Kausalya could talk about how proud she is of her son, Rama.
2. Bedtime Story: This is a possibility. I have used this style in a storytelling assignment previously. It could be one of the children telling their children stories of their mother! Rama could tell his children all of the good things about his mother, Kausalya.
3. Family Therapy: I got this idea from the 50+ Storytelling Ideas page, also! I think that this storytelling style would be interesting for the story of Kunti abandoning her child. They could be in therapy discussing why she chose the choices that she did. Her child, Karna, would definitely be looking for answers as to why she would abandon him. He would probably have issues from being abandoned, also.
4. An Anthology: I saw this idea on our assignment page. It seems to make sense for the stories I am telling to use different styles. I can do a collection of different stories told in different styles. These styles can be ones that best fit the story being told. The stories I am thinking of using feel like they need to be told in different styles, not the same ones.
5. Narrator of Stories: The goddess that is associated with the mothers could be telling their stories. She could tell the readers if she thinks that the mother is good or bad. I think this would be an interesting viewpoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment