Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Possible Project Topics

1. Possible Topic: The Goddess Ganga/Ganges. I saw Ganga in the list of goddesses and I remembered the story from our reading this week. I also used that story for my storytelling post. It would be interesting to learn more about Ganga and the river.
Research so far: I looked over the Wikipedia article and it talks about how sacred this river is to the Hindu people. I think it's really cool that they believe the river is so sacred and powerful. They celebrate the descent of the river in late May/early June every year which would be interesting to learn more about.

2. Possible Topic: The Goddess Sarawati. I really like the idea of doing my project over a goddess or goddesses. Sarawati is the goddess of knowledge, arts, learning, and music. She is also part of a trinity, so maybe my project could be over the trinity.
Research so far: I looked through the Wikipedia article about this goddess and found out that there is a festival (Vasant Panchami) that is in her honor. This is also where I found out that she is part of a trinity (Saraswati, Lakshmi, and Parvati). She has many temples dedicated to her.



3. Possible Topic: Kausalya. I picked Kausalya because she is Rama's mother. Rama is the hero of the story we have been reading, so I thought it would be interesting to learn more about his mother. Bharata's mother would be another interesting choice.
Research so far: The Wikipedia article about Kausalya doesn't have much information about her. It just says that she is the oldest wife of Dasaratha and talks about family relationships, but maybe more information could be found about her elsewhere. 

4. Possible Topic: Dharma. I looked at this topic because I didn't even know what it meant! I also looked at it because I have already looked at karma this semester, so I thought that dharma would be interesting, as well. I was just interested in seeing what it was. I learned that it is justice, but also truth. I feel like this could be a very interesting topic to do my project over. 
Research so far: In an article online, I saw that Hinduism's definition of dharma is the moral law of the world. It also involved spiritual discipline which I found very interesting. They believe that if the moral law is followed, then you can save yourself from suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment